It is everyone’s true desire to be accepted and admired. Being accepted and Admired is entirely up to you. All it takes is the ability to pick up a few significant social skills that help build emotional awareness. There are some noteworthy social skills that can be learned quite quickly.
Below is a list of several ways you can become more accepted and admired and become the most likable person in the room.
1. When first meeting someone for the first time you will want to make eye contact. This may sound like a simple thing to do but so many fail miserably at doing it. This remains one of the most impactful mistakes a person can make when conversing with someone. When you are able to look a person in the eyes it shows that you are full of confidence and poised. You will want to implement this skill immediately. Just know that it requires no training or special talent. It just takes the commitment to look a person in the eyes while conversing with them.
2. After looking the person in the eyes you want to give them a firm handshake. You don’t want to crush their hand, but you want them to know that you are a person of substance. You don’t want to want to wimp out by shaking hands with a limp and feeble handshake. Research shows that people decide whether or not they like you within several seconds of meeting you. A firm handshake contributes largely to that first impression, as does a strong carriage and confident body language.
3. Hey, don’t forget to give the other person that bright warm smile along with the first two skills I just covered. It is OK to laugh and tell jokes for the most part. Most people unconsciously mirror the people they are communicating with. If you want to be accepted and admired, try using positive body language. What you put out is usually what you get back in return.
4. Rule of thumb; cut your cell phone off and put it away. There is nothing ruder than a person constantly looking down at their cell phone while you are trying to converse with them. It would be to your best interest to keep your phone put away until after your meeting is over. For those that don’t know, that’s just plain common courtesy. Once again, this requires no training or special talent to do.
5. If you want to gain positive points with the person that you are conversing with, you will want to call them by name. Everyone wants to go where everyone knows their name. If nothing else, you may want to write this one down and don’t forget it. So, the next time when someone uses your name or uses your name during a conversation, think back and remember just how good it felt when they did it. Now, if you have trouble remembering peoples names you might want to use a trick I use when first meeting people. I try to write their name down on something and I try to use their name as many times as I can when I first meet them. This helps me remember their name right away.
6. Finally, you want to actively listen to the person you are conversing with. Simply hearing words doesn’t make the grade. People that want to be accepted and admired should learn the forgotten art of listening. Most people are thinking about what they are going to say before the other person has finished speaking. This is why people cut off a person while they are talking. By you doing such a thing shows that you are very disrespectful and unconcerned with what the other person is saying.
Active listening consists of several steps: The first step would be hearing the person you are conversing with. The second step to listening would be to interpret what the other person is saying without interrupting them. The third step would be evaluating what was said by the other person. The last step would be waiting for the right time to respond to what the other person has said.
Now you are armed with the vital information that the pros are armed with. These skills are learnable and coachable. It does not take a brain scientist to follow any of these steps mentioned in this article but the willingness to execute them.
If you would like to find out more about who you are and what is holding you back in life, I have put it all in simple terms for anyone to follow. You can pick up my book “The manufacturing Of A Dream” at http://www.drmarkhuddleston.com This book has changed the lives of many people, why not yours! Pick up a copy today.
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/expert/Mark_Huddleston/2499373
1) For Executive Workplace Upcoming Workshops, click here:
2) For Executive Workplace Current Opportunities, click here:
3) For your Executive Search and Manpower needs, contact us: